Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Birdcage

Yesterday I saw one of my favourite comedies "The Birdcage", it's extremely funny! I looked on www.imdb.com the year it was released and I was amazed: 1996!!!
For those of you who haven't seen it...


"Armand Goldman owns a popular drag nightclub in South Miami Beach. His long-time lover Albert stars there as Starina. "Their" son Val (actually Armand's by his one heterosexual fling, twenty years before) comes home to announce his engagement to Barbara Keely, daughter of Kevin Keely, US Senator, and vice president of the Committee for Moral Order. The Senator and family descend upon South Beach to meet Val and his father and "mother..." and what ensues is comic chaos"


And then I thought, wait a minute it feels like yesterday! I think that movie made a great impact on me the first time I saw it, I know it's full of stereotypes but at the end of the day it's a gay couple and both are crazy in love with each other. I think the point of view of this movie was pretty forward for 1996, it's full of subtext specially when Albert (dressed as Misses Goldman) talks to the senator about homosexuality. Maybe it has something to do with the way I've been brought up but I've never thought "there was something wrong" with gay people! I've been going abroad for many years and I've met loads of different kinds of people, and one of the things I'll never forget was listening to a friend of mine (my age, university student etc) say that he coulnd't look at his brother in the eye if he knew he was gay... Honestly, I don't know what all those closed minded people are scared of...

It seems like many people in my generation is going backwards... I'll never forget the example my nana gave me (and this came from someone raised in the dictatorship period in Spain where being homosexual took you straight to jail) : if they love each other, let it be!

I think that at the end of the day the most important thing is happiness, and as far as I'm concerned there's nothing written about the real meaning of it, and that it means exactly the same thing for everyone, so whatever makes you happy it's the real happiness. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment